Monday, March 24, 2014

No ifs, ands, or NUTS!

No reactions are the same…that’s what makes it scary!!

For as long as I can remember, I have had a great aversion to the smell of peanuts.  If my mom was making a peanut butter sandwich or my sister was enjoying chocolate covered peanuts, I would feel sick to my stomach and have to leave the room.  At the time, we didn’t know that I had a peanut allergy.  Since my diagnosis, our house is now completely nut-free!

When reflecting on my allergic reactions to peanut exposure, I have experienced everything from a solitary hive and tingly mouth to full-body coverage of hives to the point where my body looked like cottage cheese had been injected directly into my skin.  In a controlled clinical setting, a food challenge actually put me into anaphylaxis requiring an epinephrine shot to relieve my symptoms (and possibly save my life).

There are no rules as to how the body will react to an accidental exposure to an allergen like peanut protein.  It is imperative that peanut allergy sufferers (and all people who have been diagnosed with life-threatening allergies) wear medical alert identification and carry an epinephrine injector (or two).  Plan ahead to protect yourself!!

Keep out of the nut house!

No comments:

Post a Comment